Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I've been thinking about Dads, more specifically, my Dad. What will he be like at 67? What will he be like once he retires from his awful life of work? What will he do to pass the time? Will he still wake up at 4AM to the still darkness of pre-dawn, slip on his house shoes, and sit in the same rocking chair waiting for a carpool that will never show up?
Unfortunately, my Dad (like so many Dads that have come before him) will never retire. He'll just take a step backwards.
When I'm in a grocery store and there is a 70 year old man bagging my groceries I wonder what he did before. I wonder if he was powerful. I wonder if he was happy. I wonder what his kids think of him now. Through his furrowed brow I can tell that this is the fate that awaits all Dads.

Life really is A Tale of Two Cities but one of the cities is a Rainbow Colored Pile of Shit.

2 comments:

FJ said...

The second half is great (that is, that one line at the bottom). The first part would be better if it wasn't about how you want to keep old men as slaves. And believe me, that is what it's about.

FJ said...

Do you mean that dads all become grocery baggers at 70?